General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

3rd Brake Light / Turn Signal Mod...How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Brake Light / Turn Signal Mod...How?

I'd like to tap into my turn signal and make the outer 2 bulbs act with the turn signals. I have a all red light with the 3 light harness, and thought this would be cool.

Any ideas where would be easiest to do this, and where I should run the wires?

Old 06-02-2005
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all wires should be under your passenger side sill plate, i believe. i cant remember the colors for blinkers though. it should only require limited wire and some splicers.

check out the post for someone looking at their new rear lights, the blinkers have been covered in that one.

Old 06-02-2005
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I'd like to tap into my turn signal and make the outer 2 bulbs act with the turn signals. I have a all red light with the 3 light harness, and thought this would be cool.
It is cool and fairly easy to do.

Note: The following applies to 2001~2003. The mod is possible on most other years but the color codes and fuses vary.

Tie the two black cargo bulb ground wires to the black CHMSL ground.
Extend the hot wire from the left cargo bulb and tap into the dark blue/white (hot side of dash fuse 3)
Extend the hot wire from the right cargo bulb and tap into the brown/yellow (hot side of dash fuse 7)

It is also possible to access these two wires under the carpet under the driver's seat or under the carpet on the left side of the transmission tunnel. I think it's easier to go to the back of the dash fuse panel.

When completed the center bulb should come on only with the brakes as before. The outer two are brake/turn signals that will act just like the ones on the back of the truck.

Last edited by V8 Level II; 12-10-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2005
Edit:

for all red, do what Bob described, if you have the white cargo lights, use an amber bulb and tie into the FRONT turn signal wires so they work only as turn signals.

Old 06-02-2005
I hooked mine up to a box under the truck, directly under the drivers seat.

Old 06-02-2005
Originally Posted by Swoop1156
I hooked mine up to a box under the truck, directly under the drivers seat.
Yeah, I hate running wiring under the truck. I still wish I'd have fished my power cable for my amp through the firewall instead of under the cab.. I think connections are too susceptible to damage down there.

Old 06-02-2005
it has always been a serious pain running wire through my firewall cuz i dont want to drill and ive only got one hole that is just out of reach and getting my hand through the stuff in the engine bay is next to impossible. plus, the hole is pretty small.

if i had a bigger one that was more accesible id run my cb cable through the firewall cuz ive only found a plug in the bed. no plugs out of the the back of the cab that i am aware of.

Old 06-02-2005
I think i might give this a shot this weekend, it sounds kool but its either do this or it gets covered with a 4x4 emblem cause its jsut so blah boring when its there atlesat turn signals would give it a kool feature

Old 06-02-2005
Originally Posted by rwenzing
It is cool and fairly easy to do.

Tie the two black cargo bulb ground wires to the black CHMSL ground.
Extend the hot wire from the left cargo bulb and tap into the dark blue/white (hot side of dash fuse 3)
Extend the hot wire from the right cargo bulb and tap into the brown/yellow (hot side of dash fuse 7)

It is also possible to access these two wires under the carpet under the driver's seat or under the carpet on the left side of the transmission tunnel. I think it's easier to go to the back of the dash fuse panel.

When completed the center bulb should come on only with the brakes as before. The outer two are brake/turn signals that will act just like the ones on the back of the truck.
Is the back of the fuse panel fairly easily accessible? Sounds like it would be an easy mod if it is.

Don't have carpet to look for the wires under (and don't want to rip up my floor) so I'll just go to the fuse panel probably.

Old 06-02-2005
the fuse panel comes out with two or three easily accesible screws. i took it off once cuz i thought i had pushed a contact through but it turns out the fuse i needed was one slot below the one i was looking at.

once it comes off you have access to everything behind it.

Old 06-02-2005
Originally Posted by loneFX4
the fuse panel comes out with two or three easily accesible screws. i took it off once cuz i thought i had pushed a contact through but it turns out the fuse i needed was one slot below the one i was looking at.

once it comes off you have access to everything behind it.
Excellent!

Old 06-02-2005
so what do you suggest wiring wise? through theheadliner down the drivers side column to the fuse panel ??

Old 06-02-2005
What does this mod do.... I dunno

Old 06-03-2005
it makes the sockets on either side of the third brake light be used as turn signals.

Old 06-03-2005
do you have to use amber signals on the rear? if so, how would i go about making those lights turn on when i have the truck in reverse?

one other thing, would i be able to wire a switch up to it so i could have like a cargo lamp switch or something?

Old 06-04-2005
RF Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by loneFX4
do you have to use amber signals on the rear? if so, how would i go about making those lights turn on when i have the truck in reverse?

one other thing, would i be able to wire a switch up to it so i could have like a cargo lamp switch or something?
If you wanted to not make the outside ones into turnsignals, but reverse lights...just wire up a tap from your reverse light wire. That'd be a neat mod.

Old 06-04-2005
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by bigwill41
What does this mod do.... I dunno
I have done the third brake light turnsignal mod...i have a couple videos with one real good one...if someone can host it for me, i can put it on.

HOST PLEASE!!!

Shane

Old 06-04-2005
i'm an idiot, i need pictures! haha

Old 06-04-2005
haha pictures, this is soo easy bud lol if someone wants to host some pics for me then ill take the pics when i do this mod tomorrow. Ive thought about it and im just gonna run the wires across the top of the healiner and into the fuse box. i have the complete red covered light so i was thinken on seeing if the over head from the f-150 94 would fit..might have to custom fit it but it has white on each side and red in teh middle..if i should take pics let me know today and ill check back in the morning before i do this mod and ill take em,

Old 06-04-2005
Originally Posted by Buttercup

Any ideas where would be easiest to do this, and where I should run the wires?
Where can I get a 3 light harness????

Old 06-04-2005
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by eDg3 oF cHa0s
Where can I get a 3 light harness????
Two options:

1) Use the 3-bulb harness out of a white/red/white CHMSL; or

2) Buy two extra sockets to add to the all red CHMSL. You will need to go to a well stocked auto parts store to find them but they plug right into the two extra holes already there.

Old 06-06-2005
Went to Canadian tire today, and auto zone has em too i bout teh two sockets and lights and wiring for like 10$ so its not to expensive of a mod to do. tomorrow it all goes together..Yay haha

Old 06-07-2005
MOD COMPLETED!!!! took like 15min so easy if ya know what your doing

Old 06-07-2005
Thanx for the info Bryce.........You were a big help on messenger......I'll let ya know whenever I get that mod done myself.......

Old 06-10-2005
RF Veteran
hardest part of this mod is routing the wires. I ran mine from the box unter the truck, through a grommet in the floor, up the C pillar, between the headliner and roof, and through the hole where the stock wires goes through.

Easy mod...but i dont really like how i wired them up to do what the brake/turn does...sometime when i do my mirror turn signals, i'll convert it to do what the front signals do.

Later

Shane

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light / Turn Signal Mod...How?