General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Just Ordered Some JD Traction Bars!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Ordered Some JD Traction Bars!

ya so i just ordered them, i cant wait to get them on. How did u guys that have them get the extra Axle bracket? Cause i asked the guy and he told me that he cant order the brackets seperatly.

Old 02-24-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob is the only one I know w/ a dual axle brackets for his JD bars. He had to fab his own. JD would not sell him a second set of brackets seperately.

Old 02-24-2006
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyinfx4
ya so i just ordered them
arnt you special you want a cookie or something

just messin lol...

Old 02-24-2006
I ordered a set of extra JD-style brackets from Underdog Performance. I thought I got his last set, but they're still on his site:

http://www.underdog-performance.com/id87.html

You can take your JDs to a metal shop and ask them to replicate another pair, or buy a pair from Underdog. Because JD uses two holes, and UDP only has one hole, they are not compatible. I wish I would have know that ahead of time...

Or your can put a pair of JDs on one side of the truck, and a pair of UDPs on the other side. Bottom line is that you can't mix-and-match two different styles on the same traction bar.

If you can get a set of brackets from Underdog ($15 shipped), I'll trade you my UDP brackets for your JD brackets (or vice versa). You'll have two matched pairs, I'll have two matched pairs. I just gotta buy my JD bars first! Seriously, let me know...

Old 02-24-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by Flyinfx4
ya so i just ordered them, i cant wait to get them on. How did u guys that have them get the extra Axle bracket? Cause i asked the guy and he told me that he cant order the brackets seperatly.
Oh yea well I bought mine first hahaha.

Old 02-24-2006
Originally Posted by mkoenig
I ordered a set of extra JD-style brackets from Underdog Performance. I thought I got his last set, but they're still on his site:

http://www.underdog-performance.com/id87.html

You can take your JDs to a metal shop and ask them to replicate another pair, or buy a pair from Underdog. Because JD uses two holes, and UDP only has one hole, they are not compatible. I wish I would have know that ahead of time...

Or your can put a pair of JDs on one side of the truck, and a pair of UDPs on the other side. Bottom line is that you can't mix-and-match two different styles on the same traction bar.

If you can get a set of brackets from Underdog ($15 shipped), I'll trade you my UDP brackets for your JD brackets (or vice versa). You'll have two matched pairs, I'll have two matched pairs. I just gotta buy my JD bars first! Seriously, let me know...
if memory serves me right, you got actual JD brackets. I put my own doubles over each bracket so I didn't need them. JD did change the style of them so it may not have matched the brackets you had. The ones I have are a two hole.

Old 02-24-2006
Originally Posted by 04lvl2
Oh yea well I bought mine first hahaha.
lmao, ya i no, i was goin to wait till u put urs on to see how it turned out but i couldnt wait.

Old 02-24-2006
RF Veteran
LOL thats cool.

Old 02-24-2006
those underdog ones WILL NOT work with the JD brackets, the JD brackets are cut TOTALLY different now. if you wanted double brackets either make your own second one or order 4 of the underdog ones. but there really is no reason to use double brackets, it is totally unnecessary.

Old 02-24-2006
Originally Posted by graniteguy
if memory serves me right, you got actual JD brackets. I put my own doubles over each bracket so I didn't need them. JD did change the style of them so it may not have matched the brackets you had. The ones I have are a two hole.
I have had the brackets for a month now, and finally opened the box! Yes, mine are two-hole, and look identical to the ones on JD's website. Hence, they are the JD brackets.

Thanks Wayne, I just have to get off my butt and order the bars!

Old 02-24-2006
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like you got it made man..cant wait to see them on..

Old 02-24-2006
Take a bunch of pics once you get em on, i plan on getting the traction bars once its warmer out. Lemme know how you like em too

Old 02-25-2006
FWIW: This is what the brackets that I got from JD looked like. I ordered late June 2005.

My brackets had to have the slots elnarged and have the insides of the perches filed down to fit my 31-spline LII axle.

Here are all kinds of photos of the install:
http://www.pbase.com/nhbubba/jdtractionbarinstall

Old 02-25-2006
Those are the JD's that can't be doubled up. They used to make a different one that was a miiror imiage of each other.

Old 02-25-2006
RF Veteran
Those are the JD's that can't be doubled up. They used to make a different one that was a miiror imiage of each other.
You mean cant be doubled up with the ones that you sell? If they are made mirror of those then you should be able to.

Old 02-25-2006
Lol. Forget about my mounts. Every comment made has been that they will not mate directly with JD mounts, you would have to swap them all. I think the confusion is JD has used two different mounts.

They used to be a mirror image and could be doubled. Look at the pictures. This will help everyone understand. One style of JD bracket allows a double mount because they are a mirror image of each other. If you have two of these and could get hold of two more, you'd have a matching set to double up:
old?

new?

Old 02-27-2006
Lol. Forget about my mounts. Every comment made has been that they will not mate directly with JD mounts, you would have to swap them all. I think the confusion is JD has used two different mounts.
JD has created AT LEAST two different mounts. One like mine and one like the photo you linked from their site. The photo from their site is, I believe, a much older implementation though. My brackets are the newer brackets and are what was shipping as of June of 2005. I have reason to believe that they have once again changed the design though, so my brackets may not even be current.